Los Angeles Kings
Proposed trade: Kovalchuk for Jonathan Bernier, Alexander Frolov, Oscar Moller and a No. 1 pick.
This is the other team we are hearing to be among the favorites to land Kovalchuk, and most of us could figure that out. Why? Because the Kings need a proven goal scorer and a talent upgrade to compete with the Western Conference elite. The Kings covet a star to put on billboards, plus they have some cap space, some good young prospects and have a player in Frolov who clearly needs a change of scenery. Frolov is also playing for a contract, and the Thrashers could benefit from that drive. Plus, if he plays well and doesn't ask for too much money, the Thrashers could re-sign him.
Frolov is a tough sign because he has had an up-and-down career. Three years at $15 million? Five years for $25 million? I'm sure he will go for as many guaranteed dollars as he can get, but I would be hesitant to give him more than a three- or four-year deal. Bernier is a 21-year-old goalie who is having a really good season in the AHL. Moller is a slick, Swedish center, but has yet to show he can be consistent at the NHL level; but I can see him evolving into a real solid player. One of Atlanta's problems over the years has been a lack of strong center.
Three six things:
(2) Lombardi has yet to trade any of his picks and I would rather he not start now.
(3) If he does trade one of his own drafted players, I hope he doesn't start with my two favorite ones.
(4) Atlanta is going to need to get more back than what will look to them like one enigmatic Russians and some prospects.
(5) I guess Buccigross hasn't seen any Kings games this year, because I don't think Frolov is going to be getting anything approaching $5MM a year.
(5a) I love Frolov and had him pegged for 35-40 goals this season. And if he were somehow to do that (unlikely at this point), he would certainly get that kind of money.
(6) My proposal of Brown and Johnson seasoned with picks is more likely to get Waddell's attention. I believe the result of such a trade would be that I would be glad with got IK but I would miss JJ and be glad I shipped off Brown when I did.