I do not know what I was thinking, really. Forget everything I said in the previous Sharks-cap post. I have revised my numbers, to correct for a previously too low cap hit for Pavelski and Malhotra. The main change between this chart and the previous (idiotic) one is that some names are dropped from this one. Just minor ones. Blake, Marleau and Nabokov. Obviously, my conclusions have flipped.
- The market for Marleau and Nabokov is likely to be higher than the Sharks can (or should try to) afford. Certainly, signing one of them is possible, but both -- not.
- If you had to pick one, I think you go with Marleau, since he's got a lot left in the tank. But if you make that choice, you are limited as to what you can do to upgrade the defense (i.e. you can't).
- I happen to think, if I'm the Sharks, a blue-chip shut-down defenseman is the most important piece to add this summer. Like a Blake upgrade. Better, younger, and an upgrade in leadership wouldn't hurt either.
- There really isn't that much out there in terms of UFA goalies. Nabokov is actually the top of the list. It doesn't make sense to offer a big money contract to a goalie over 35 who hasn't "gotten it done" in his several golden opportunities. If the Sharks shore up the d, maybe it's time to hand the reigns to Greiss. They just need to bring in a decent back-up. Ideally, a cheap one.
- Like Erik Ersberg. Hmm. He's the odd man out in LA. He's played a few games. Should be able to get him from Lombardi for a pick. I'm not just saying this because this is a Kings blog. He's going somewhere this summer, to be somebody's back-up. We'll take that #88 pick off your hands.
Anyway, here's my revision.
|2010-11 San Jose Sharks|
|* Joe Pavelski||—||$4,250,000|
|* Hybrid 2nd/3rd line Swiss Army Knife, with a cup ring||—||$3,000,000|
|* Devin Setoguchi||—||$2,400,000|
|* Manny Malhotra||—||$1,750,000|
|* Prospect Who Surprises Everyone in Camp||—||$900,000|
|* Scott Nichol||—||$900,000|
|* Steven Zalewski||—||$900,000|
|* Crusty veteran bottom-six forward who doesn't make waves when he's scratched||—||$750,000|
|* Younger, Better Blake (UFA or trade), top four, expensive||—||$4,500,000|
|* Cheap B/U with some experience (e.g. Erik Ersberg)||—||$750,000|