Question: Who is most likely to finish in 9th place?
The Hawks need a record of 4-3-1 to get to 97 points. Anaheim needs a record of 4-3-0. Dallas needs 5-2-1.
Chicago (8): DET, BOS, CBJ, TBL, MTL, STL, DET, DET.
Dallas (8): PHX, SJS, LAK, ANA, CBJ, COL, COL, MIN.
Anaheim (7): COL, CGY, SJS, DAL, SJS, LAK, LAK.
Why Anaheim will prevail:
- they are 7-3-0 in their last ten. Chicago is 5-3-2 in their last ten. Dallas is 4-3-3.
- They have a (probably secure) lead in tie-breaker wins.
- They have already clinched the season series against Dallas and Chicago.
- They have one more game against Dallas, and since the Ducks will have lost to the Kings the night before, they will be angry.
Why they won't:
- Anaheim plays San Jose twice and LA twice.
- Jonas Hiller got pulled the other night in his first game back from injury.
Why Chicago will prevail:
- They are ahead of Dallas in tie-breaker wins.
- They are the Stanley Cup Champions.
Why they won't:
- they play Detroit three times, including a home-and-home to close out the season.
- They have three tough out-of-conference games (TBL, BOS, MTL).
- They are behind Anaheim in tie-breaker wins.
- They have already lost season series against both Anaheim and Dallas.
- They don't play any more games against teams they are fighting for a spot, so the best they can do is win their own games; they can't make their rivals lose.
Why Dallas will prevail:
- They close out the season with four games against non-playoff teams.
- They beat Chicago in their season series.
- They have one game left against Anaheim, and it's the second of a back-to-back for the Ducks.
Why they won't:
- It's the second of a back-to-back for them, too.
- And it comes after they've played PHX, SJS and LAK.
- Their last game is against the Wild, who will enjoy ruining their lives on the last day of the season.
- They lost the season series with Anaheim...
- ...but that doesn't matter, since they are way behind in tie-breaker wins.
- Chicago will win 4 of the 6 games leading up to the home-and-home with the Wings. They will have 96 points going into that series.
- Anaheim will get 5 points out of their 5 games leading up to the home-and-home with the Kings. They will have 94 points going into the final weekend.
- Dallas will get 5 points in their next 5 games, leading up to the home-and-home with Colorado and season finale against the Wild. They will have 91 points with three games left.
- Dallas will have to win all three games and hope that Chicago gets zero points from their 2 games against Detroit, or Anaheim does no better than a split against LA.
- Anaheim will likely take the 8th spot and open against the Canucks.
- Chicago will open against the Wings.
- If Dallas can get 7 or 8 points out of their next five games -- PHX, SJS, LAK, ANA, CBJ -- they will go into their last three games with much more confidence.
- With Dallas within reach, the pressure on Anaheim and Chicago will increase exponentially.
- Dallas could then easily get four points out of its last three games, ending up at 97.
- Chicago and Anaheim split their home-and-homes.
- Chicago finishes with 98. Plays Detroit.
- Anaheim finishes with 96. They're out.
- Dallas plays Vancouver.
- It's a three way tie.
- First tie-breaker: wins (minus shoot-out wins).
- Anaheim is probably going to lead in this category. So they would get 7th.
- Chicago currently has a two win advantage over Dallas. However, if Dallas manages to close the gap...
- ...Dallas won the season series with the Hawks.
- So Dallas would then take the 8th spot.
- And Chicago would be done.