NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 14: Drew Doughty (L) and Anze Kopitar of the Los Angeles Kings and actress Meaghan Martin pose for a photo during the cocktail reception hosted by Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter at The Monkey Bar on September 14 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Andy Marlin/Getty Images for the NHL)
I would not be surprised to find out that this comment was supposed to be off-the-record. [UPDATE: Rudy points out in the comments that "this is pretty clearly a plant by Dean to make Doughty nervous." I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of that.]
[...] Ferreira's has been a life often spent on the road, and his current role as special assistant to Kings president/general manager Dean Lombardi -- the continuation of a relationship that goes back four decades -- is no different. [...] He is a valuable complement to Lombardi and assistant GM Ron Hextall, filling in whatever gaps need to be filled and contributing the instincts and wisdom of the hockey lifer.[...] Today's Kings are still at a negotiating stalemate with defenseman Drew Doughty , a restricted free agent. That situation got no easier Wednesday when an arbitrator awarded Nashville's Shea Weber, a more experienced defenseman, $7.5 million for one year.
"This year we were up in Toronto for the scouting combine and Dean had some meetings with Newport Sports (Doughty's agents)," Ferreira said. "He came back and they were discussing what went on, and I just looked at him and said, 'Dean, they don't want to make a deal. They're not ready to make a deal.' That's gonna be a tough one. I would not be surprised if he was a holdout. I went through it with Paul Kariya, and Dean's been through it."
More validation for my irrational gut instinct on this situation.
(hat-tip to Bobby Scribe for digging up this article; how it eluded my Google Alerts I'll never know)
Further Reading on Doughty Mania:
- I Disagree with Bobby Scribe
- Weber award is $7.5MM (HIGHEST EVER); so Doughty deserves...
- Make Your Doughty Predictions Here -- Win a Terry Murray Golden Seals card
- Meehan says Doughty "would be willing to stay"??
- The history of (future) Hall of Fame and Norris defensemen before age 22
- Great -- Doughty fears (appear?) justified (...or else what Rudy said)
- Shockingly, agents don't represent their clients' best interests
- Quisp Notes: Lombardi on Doughty contract