The NHL has released the Kings' official schedule for the 2012-13 season.
Here are some key dates:
- The season will begin with a home opener against the Rangers Oct. 12th. Guess what -- there's going to be a new banner up there!
- The annual February road trip due to the Grammys looks to be the toughest stretch of the season, as usual. The Kings will play 11 of 13 games on the road from Jan. 19th to Feb. 20th.
- The longest homestand is 5 games (Jan. 3rd-14th).
- Some road back to back games: Jan. 21st-22nd (Nashville and Minnesota); Mar. 25-26th (Dallas and Chicago). Another B2B is local: Jan. 2nd at Anaheim, and Jan. 3rd against Philadelphia at home.
- The Kings have four 5-game road trips, but none longer than 5. The last of these is down the stretch (March 25th-April 2nd). This year, we hope they won't be scrambling for points by then.
- After experimenting with a different Battle of California against the Sharks last season, the Kings once again play their final game of season against their So Cal rivals, the Anaheim Ducks. Staples should be rocking.
UPDATE: Dirk Hoag of On The Forecheck has compiled the total travel miles for each team. Last year, with their European trip, the Kings were first in mileage (over 55,000 flown); this year, without it, there's been a 10,000 mile improvement. In other ways, it looks like the schedule is a bit more favorable to the team. A possible benefit from being the Champs? I'll take it.