- Per Rich Hammond, restricted free agent (and surprising playoff sniper) Dwight King has re-upped with the Kings for two years. Salary is 1.5 million. Give us your thoughts.
- A Bruins blog explains that the Kings need to let Bernier go. Because teams just give away their assets all the time, right?
Shane Doan is now accepting offers from many teams, though the challenge to the Glendale arena deal can't make it to the ballot. The Kings were the first to offer him a contract, followed by the Sharks, Canucks, Red Wings, Sabres, and Penguins. He still needs a few more teams in the mix to make it 10, so call Terry Bross for details.
- The San Jose Sharks are still in the running for Doan...because no one is out of it!
- There is also a rumored offer from some crazy mystery Eastern team: 4 years, $7.5M cap hit. The reason we don't know the name of this team is probably because Doan wouldn't want to play for them.
Around The NHL
Mike Green will make about $6M for the next 3 years in Washington.
- Was Dave Bolland offered for Luongo? The Province says yes, ESPN Chicago no.
- Could Mike Modano make a comeback? Harrison Mooney has the best line: "Putting Modano in Red Wing red was like putting nipples on the batsuit. It was weird and it made everyone feel weird."
- Patrick Burke had an excellent take on Cam Janssen's comments. I'm with Patrick in assuming that no apology he could make would satisfy everyone right now. "His actions going forward will be key."
- One hockey insider thinks we're heading for a lockout. [ProHockeyTalk] Another guess: it won't begin until at least December. [Globe and Mail] Whomp whomp.
Let's have some Dustin Penner sarcasm to cheer up after the jump.
Dustin Penner's School of Chirp
Conan O'Brien got burned on his second attempt to diss the Kings. This time, Dustin Penner did the honors. So is there a serious feud between our generation's two great comedic minds right now? Uhh, no. As Penner explained to Colin Hanks: "It's not fighting when it's comedy."
Still, Coco fanboys and girls took to their smartphones to let Mr. Pancakes know that he once had a back injury, and that was not funny! So he held a little Chirping School to knock a few of 'em down and explain the ins and outs of trash talk along the way.
@34inXXIIIyou're obviously not a mathematician. I guess a high school diploma isn't necessary to run a msg board......? 6'4 is = 6'4— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) July 15, 2012
@RobertDeSaro and I replied with a joke. Try and keep up— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) July 16, 2012
@DamTweet don't get overly sensitive. You wanna chirp. Prepare to get chirped— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) July 16, 2012
Words to live by.
Final questions for you:
1. What do you think about the Dwight King contract? What do you hope for him next season?
2. Do you want the Kings to drop out of the running for Doan? Or do you think he'd take less to play here?
3. Should we free Jonathan Bernier...or just give him more than 13 starts?