May 7, 2012; Glendale, AZ, USA; Phoenix Coyotes right wing Shane Doan (19) brings the pucks up ice as Nashville Predators defenseman Ryan Suter (20) defends during the third period in game five of the 2012 Western Conference semifinals at Jobing.com Arena. The Coyotes beat the Predators 2-1. Mandatory Credit: Matt Kartozian-US PRESSWIRE
The Minnesota Wild landed the top two free agents on the market today, awarding them each identical 13 year, $98 million contracts. Suter will likely bring more value than Parise in the long run, but will the Wild push for a playoff spot next season? They have a lot of good young prospects, but some ground to make up.
- I wasn't too enthusiastic about LA signing Parise. Overall, I'm mostly relieved the Detroit Red Wings didn't land Suter.
- Next year, the pursuit of Weber will be intense (Detroit and Vancouver should be in the mix).
Matt Carle is the best defenseman left. He's solid, but that's a recipe for overpayment.
- Some team will give Alex Semin less money and have him put up the same amount of points as Parise next season.
- Another team will give up far too much in a trade for Rick Nash, and then be stuck with his cap hit. I hope it's the Sharks.
- Nashville's going to have to spend a lot somewhere to reach the cap floor.
- Five days until we know if Shane Doan is leaving Phoenix.
Top 50 Free Agents Board at CBS Sports
Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans. Sutter would remind you to celebrate responsibly.
Would you have wanted the Kings to sign Parise at that price (13 years, $7.53 million)?
Yes (8 votes)
No (199 votes)
13 years?! (72 votes)
At least it's not the Red Wings (30 votes)
309 total votes