Time: 4.30 PM
TV: TSN2, NBC Sports Network
Enemy reading: Winging it in Motown
Red Wings (projected) lineup:
Injured: Miller (hand), Samuelsson (upper body), Bertuzzi (back), Helm (back); Scratched: White, Lashoff, Colaiacovo
Kings (projected) lineup:
(probably not) Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Injured: Mitchell (knee); Scratched: Ellerby, Fraser?, Martinez
- Remember when the Wings traded their first-round draft pick for Kyle Quincey? Yeah.
- Remember when the Kings' first-line centre scored ridiculous goals? Yeah.
- Remember when the Wings announced an important ~mystery~ defenceman signing and everyone got all worked up about it and then it was Kent Huskins? Yeah.
- Okay, I'm done reminiscing. Actual hockey stuff: Dustin Brown might be out for tonight's game, after he presumably took offense to Jason Pominville's boy band hair and delivered an ill-advised hit to the head. It was bad, he should feel bad, I have no problem with a one-two game suspension, and I hope Jason Pominville suffers no ill effects.
- In his potential absence, my guess is the forwards line up: Penner-Kopitar-Williams / Clifford-Richards-Carter / King-Stoll-Lewis / Richardson-Fraser-Nolan. Man, who misses Simon Gagne? (Me. I miss him.) (Jeff Carter might get bumped to the top line, but this is how I'd do it.)
- Fun! With! Numbers!:
Kings (4th, West)
8-11-4 20.4 (10th)
Red Wings (9th, West)
45 50 19 +1 11-7-4 18.5 (15th)
- This is the first time I've seen both the Kings' special teams percentages in the top 10 since I've started keeping track in these game previews. Doesn't mean that much, but it makes me feel better, so there you go.
- These two teams haven't met since February, when they split a pair of games. Since then, the Wings have dropped back to be part of a pack of four teams fighting for those 7th/8th playoff spots. They've been lacklustre in their last 10, with a 4-3-3 record, and they've got a handful of depth injuries, but I still think the Kings will be in tough tonight.
- Despite what NBC would have you believe, this isn't a rivalry, but it's not exactly nothing. It ranks well, well below most of the Blackhawks/Avalanche/etc stuff, but there's still a bit of history between these two teams that it's a little sad will be left behind. That being said: I hate you, Detroit - get the hell out.
- Prediction: Dustin Brown gets suspended, twitter cries bitterly about what a horrible dirty player he is, and I drink heavily - until the Kings pull out a miraculous last-second 2-1 win. Go Kings Go.