A bunch of Kings were invited to Olympic camps today. Here is a list of them (* denotes that they played on their respective 2010 teams):
Some random notes
- Just a hunch, but Anze Kopitar, as inarguably the best hockey player Slovenia has ever produced, will probably be going to camp (which will occur this year, as it does every summer, as a side event at the Kopitar family reunion).
- Jeff Carter, as some of you may remember, was the last cut from Team Canada in 2010, and was stashed on the reserve team due to concerns over a lingering injury. This is his chance for redemption or whatever. I got all excited thinking that he might make the Triple Gold Club if he won gold in Sochi, but I was wrong. Jeff Carter: forever a disappointment to me.
- Mike Richards was dominant on a line with Jonathan Toews and Rick Nash in Vancouver, but his game has declined noticeably since then, and I'd say he's borderline to make this team.
- Slava Voynov is a hero.
- There is basically no way that Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick, barring injury, don't make Team USA. I'd say odds are pretty good that Brown is an Alternate Captain, and that Quick (who won silver in a suit four years ago) is named the starting goaltender.
- TREVOR LEWIS, THE PRIDE OF SALT LAKE CITY, you guys. I just hope he's so jazzed about this that he goes and calls up Dean Lombardi and just signs whatever contract they put in front of him.