Darryl Sutter's excellent post-Stanley Cup quote introduces today's links.
And yes, I tried really hard to find a picture with eight, because I get obnoxious during winning streaks. (Links via tastyhog.com)
- Jon Rosen may or may not have beaten us to the punch on this one, but here's an excellent look at the numbers behind LA's eight-game winning streak.
- As of this morning, there is a significant gap between the top seven teams in the NHL and the rest of the league. After the 89-point Bruins and the 89-point Avalanche, you have to go all the way down to the 82-point Kings, and the next team in line is the 78-point Maple Leafs. Five of the top seven teams are out of the West, and because the Kings have separation above and below them, sixth place in the west is still by far the likeliest possibility. Even after an eight-game winning streak. Jeez.
- Kevin Allen of USA Today writes one of the first "Are the Kings championship material" articles since the win streak took off. We'll probably see more of them.
- Jordan Nolan's one-game suspension is over. He lost $3589.74.
- Former Calgary Hitmen goaltender Martin Jones got the win on Monday night. The Calgary Herald gave a summary of his performance, as well as some background on why the Saddledome is so familiar to Jones.
Around the League
The most important story in the NHL this week was the status of the Dallas Stars' Rich Peverley, who suffered a "cardiac event" on the team bench during Monday's game against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Thankfully, Peverley was revived after his collapse, and he will make a statement at a press conference at 12 PM Pacific.
- Defending Big D has been providing great coverage of the incident. Here are some player reactions, as well as a look at how they responded on the ice to such a traumatic event.
- Steve Lepore would like to remind you that we don't have to make comparisons to the NBA every time a hockey player proves his toughness. We already know how tough they are.
- Megalodon at Battle of California does the same, in his own special way.
- The Maple Leafs come to town on Thursday. They won in a very Leafs way on Monday in Anaheim, but yesterday, they were far less fortunate.
- SB Nation's fifth edition of the GIF Tournament is ongoing, and two memorable hockey moments from the 2013-14 season are in contention for the title. One features Adam Pardy's helmet being stolen; the other features Mike Smith's infamous "buttgoal." Vote for one of them to advance to the top three, and then make sure that hockey wins out. (Because I'm still mad about the greatest sports GIF of all time losing two years ago.)
- Congratulations to the Arizona State hockey team, who won the ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association) national championship this weekend. They join all three California NHL teams as dominant Western forces laughing at the traditionalists.
- Finally, this is a bit late, but here's some more info on why the Culver City Ice Rink remains closed.