We're nearing the trade deadline, and the Los Angeles Kings have not made any official moves as of yet. But in the last few hours, the dam has burst and trades are finally happening. We can blame Anaheim...
League News (i.e., Actual Trades)
- Roberto Luongo has been traded back to the Florida Panthers. Vancouver gets goaltending prospect Jacob Markstrom and forward Shawn Matthias. Initial reaction: Nice knowing you, Vancouver.
- Andrew Macdonald is on his way to the Flyers:
#Isles get 2014 3rd rounder and a 2015 2nd rounder for MacDonald from the Flyers.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) March 4, 2014
- Ex-King Deal #1: Dustin Penner is off to the Washington Capitals! The Anaheim Ducks decided to upgrade their defense at the expense of the hot-and-cold winger. Penner was traded to Washington for a 4th rounder, which was then flipped to Dallas for defenseman Stephane Robidas.
- Ilya Bryzgalov is on the move after Ben Scrivens was locked up by the Oilers. Bryzgalov is off to Minnesota, also for a 4th round pick.
- Edmonton replaced Bryzgalov with Anaheim backup Viktor Fasth, who was exchanged for 3rd and 5th round picks. Of course, the Ducks still have Frederik Andersen and John Gibson in the pipeline behind Jonas Hiller.
- Ex-King Deal #2: Mike Weaver was traded to Montreal in the first prominent move of the day.
Full Deadline Coverage
Full Deadline Coverage
Kings Targets (i.e., Assorted Rumors)
- Thomas Vanek is considered the most attractive offensive target on the trade market, but so far, teams have not been willing to pay what Garth Snow is asking for. So, the price is dropping.
Expect #Isles to get 2 very good assets for Vanek. If he gets 3, Garth will have done well in a challenging market.— Chris Botta (@ChrisBottaNHL) March 4, 2014
Told the LA Kings have inquired about Vanek, but view Moulson and others as options. Lombardi stingy with assets.— Chris Botta (@ChrisBottaNHL) March 4, 2014
- As for Andrew MacDonald? There have been reports that he could go to LA and Boston already. Add Pittsburgh to the list, as well as Anaheim in a possible package deal.
- No Mike Cammalleri movement, as Matchsticks and Gasoline reminds us.
- Winging It In Motown writer Kyle McIlmurray is right...
Confirmed asking price for Ales Hemsky is a 2nd round pick. Edmonton is willing to eat salary on his contract as well. Why not?— kyel (@kylemcilmurray) March 4, 2014
- Could Matt Moulson and Christian Ehrhoff be a package deal for the Kings? We'll have more on that possibility coming up, but the general sense is that Moulson is the consolation prize for whoever loses out on Vanek. Moulson's price is rumored to be a first-rounder and a mid-level pick... so, not Tyler Toffoli.
We've got running updates just below here. For more news from around the network, check out SB Nation's deadline hub as well.
- Analyzing Trade Rumors: The Kings should trade for Ales Hemsky
- Analyzing Trade Rumors: Should the Kings Bring Back Mike Cammalleri?
- The Kings Need a Forward, Not a Defenseman
- Analyzing Trade Rumors: Does Ryan Callahan Make Sense for the Kings?
- Analyzing Trade Rumors: Should the Kings Look to Acquire Thomas Vanek?