- Dean Lombardi became Sharks GM in 1996. Marco Sturm was his second pick in his first draft as GM.
- Lombardi's first pick (2nd overall) that year was Andrei Zyuzin.
- First overall in 1996 was Chris Phillips.
- Sturm was the 21st overall pick. Lombardi traded two 2nd round picks to Chicago to get their 1st round pick. The two guys Chicago drafted with those picks have these stats (TOTAL): 18 games, 0 points.
- Lombardi got one of the two 2nd round picks (he used to get Sturm) that Spring in trading Craig Janney to the Stars.
- No-one in the 1996 draft has scored more goals than Sturm. Daniel Briere is four goals behind.[UPDATE: now Sturm is 12 goals behind Briere; Briere has 16 goals this year and hockeydb didn't update their draft page stats; blame blame]
- The Kings traded their 1st round pick (4th overall) to Washington for Byron Dafoe and Dmitri Khristich. The Caps wasted the pick on Alexandre Volchkov (4 games, 0 points).
- The Kings drafted Josh Green in the second round. The rest of the draft was more or less wasted, but for their one excellent pick that year, in the fourth round: Eric Belanger.