OK, everyone still there? Cool. As the world focuses on Boston and Chicago, we look at some Los Angeles Kings news.
- Just kidding, we're starting off in Chicago! The team that knocked out the Kings in double overtime in Game 5 went one better in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, defeating Boston in triple overtime. Second City Hockey has a good recap, and it's really worth checking out the opposing reactions between their gamethread and the gamethread at Stanley Cup of Chowder.
- Now, we'll take a look at Los Angeles. Our friends from St. Louis Game Time eulogized the Kings twice; once over at Puck Daddy, and once on their own site. They had a tough job since we've knocked them out two years in a row, but they're both worth a read.
- The Kings, obviously, have to move on. Here's a couple national media perspectives: one broad look from the Associated Press, and a more focused postgame look from the always reliable Pierre LeBrun at ESPN.
- For local opinions, listen to the All The Kings Men podcast featuring The Royal Half (with TRH recapper PumperNicholl) and Jon Hoven of Mayor's Manor, both of whom continue to be must-reads during the offseason (albeit for different reasons).
- Slava Voynov has been offered an "ambitious" contract by Traktor Chelyabinsk of the KHL, according to R-Sport. Don't get too worked up over it, as there's no indication of Voynov wanting to leave Los Angeles. Nevertheless, we'll stay tuned as Dean Lombardi negotiates a deal with the restricted free agent-to-be.
- A couple of the Kings' stars were in sharp focus during the playoffs. Mike Richards was perhaps LA's best forward before being injured in Game One of the Western Conference Final. LA Kings Insider had some great quotes on why Richards fit in better with the team this season.
- In addition to noting those quotes, NBC Sports had a look at the Stanley Cup Final Game 1 pregame speeches.
- In addition to getting those Richards quotes, Jon Rosen also wrote about upcoming adjustments for Tyler Toffoli, including one we'll be keeping tabs on: Toffoli's potential switch to left wing.
- Gann Matsuda at Frozen Royalty breaks down Anze Kopitar's playoff performance, with special emphasis on why he still has plenty of work to do to be known as "elite."
- A note from Montreal: Davis Drewiske has re-signed with the Canadiens at a bargain-basement price. Here's the summary from Eyes on the Prize; looks like he'll be playing the same role there that he played in Los Angeles.
- Phoenix continues to find themselves in the midst of an ownership mess. The end might be in sight, but Five For Howling isn't going to freak out yet (and rightfully so).
- Finally: Kelly Hrudey interviewing Jonathan Quick on CBC. Great stuff.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m7MKmzuTHyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Got anything worth reading? Post it in the comments.