Ontario has had a way of spoiling home openers so far this year.
The Reign went into central Canada and ruined the Manitoba Moose's home opener last Thursday with a 4-1 triumph. A couple days later, it was the Connor Hellebuyck show as Winnipeg's most prized prospect stopped all but one shot that came his way, losing his shutout bid to Valentin Zykov with 7.8 seconds left in the game.
Now, Ontario is finally making their Southern California debut, and the Condors did their best on Friday night to pay back the Reign for a 5-0 loss in Bakersfield's home opener a couple weeks ago . The Condors zoomed out to a 3-0 lead before the Reign fired back with five unanswered goals to pull out a thrilling 5-4 victory.
This Saturday, Ontario plays host to the San Jose affiliate Barracuda. San Jose is coming off a 3-0 whitewashing by the San Diego Gulls on Friday.
Ontario Reign VS Bakersfield Condors / San Jose Barracuda (Citizens Business Bank Arena)
Time: 7 PM Pacific (Friday), 6 PM Pacific (Saturday)
Watch: AHL Live
Reign (based on last game):
Barracuda (based on last game)
- Samuels-Thomas impressed the coaches at training camp and nearly earned a spot on the AHL Reign's roster, but was passed over on the depth chart.
- If Draisaitl sounds like a familiar name, it should be - the 2014 first-rounder was on the Oilers' roster last season before he was eventually deemed not NHL-ready and returned to the Kelowna Rockets partway through the season.
- Team captain Vincent LoVerde and defenseman Nick Ebert return to the Inland Empire for the first time since being members of the ECHL’s Reign.
- LoVerde skated in the ECHL from 2011-13, appearing in 91 games and added 12 goals and 29 assists for 41 points. Ebert dressed in four regular-season and 10 postseason contests during the 2012-13 campaign, totaling 10 points (two goals, eight assists).
- Ontario: 4-0-0-0, .1000 winning % (Tied-1st Pacific Division, 1st Western Conference)
- Bakersfield: 1-3-0-1, .300 winning % (7th Pacific Division, 13th Western Conference)
- San Jose: 2-2-0-1, .500 winning % (6th Pacific Division, 10th Western Conference)
Ontario vs. Bakersfield, Head-to-Head in 2015-16