Much like the Los Angeles Kings, we are looking to improve our lineup leading up to the Trade Deadline. Last year, we added on two terrific writers for the final months of the season, and we liked them so much we’re doing it again. If you’re chosen, you’ll start contributing right away.
Here are the requirements for this application…
- You must be a Los Angeles Kings fan. This is non-negotiable!
- You must be available to contribute at least through the 2015-16 season. We’d like you to stay for a while.
- The application must be submitted by Sunday, March 1, at 11:59 PM.
- That’s it!
We are looking for one or two volunteers to fulfill one or more of the following roles…
- POST-GAME CONTRIBUTOR: We’re looking for someone to take the reins on our game-by-game recaps. Feel free to use any format or method you desire, as long as it provides the reader all they need to know about any given game. Show us what you’ve got by writing a recap of either (a) the Stadium Series game against the San Jose Sharks, (b) Tuesday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings, or (c) Friday's game against the Anaheim Ducks.
- IN-GAME CONTRIBUTOR: Are you able to watch most games and identify interesting or unique moments as they happen? Bonus if you’re quick on the draw and can also post breaking news as it happens. Point out three noteworthy things that happened before, during, or after (a) the Stadium Series game against the San Jose Sharks, (b) Tuesday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings, or (c) Friday's game against the Anaheim Ducks, and write a paragraph about each.
- BETWEEN-GAME CONTRIBUTOR: This is a position for someone who can’t always watch or react to the games as they happen, but pays attention and provides interesting analysis. Expectation: write one article per week focusing on a particular player or trend. Submit an article, around 500 words, evaluating either (a) a single player’s performance in February or (b) a particular area of the team’s performance in February. (For article a, the following players are off-limits: Tyler Toffoli, Jonathan Quick, Jeff Carter, and Drew Doughty. Too easy!)
- FACEBOOK MANAGER: Who wants to manage the Facebook page of Jewels from the Crown? You’ll be responsible for cross-posting all Jewels content with catchy headlines or descriptions, as well as sharing interesting Kings news as you see fit. If you’re chosen, this role will be in addition to one of the above roles. (Also, this is a reminder that you should like us on Facebook.)
- PART-TIME PODCASTER: We record a podcast every two weeks! Let us know if you’d like to be part of the regular co-hosting rotation (once every two or three episodes), or if you’d simply like to be a guest once in a while. If you’re chosen, this role will be in addition to one of the above roles.
Please answer the following questions in your application:
- Intro: Who are you? This is where you get to explain why you’re applying. If you wish to provide your name, hometown, online alias, or any other info about yourself, do so here.
- How did you become a Kings fan? Give us your origin story, so to speak.
- Aside from writing, what other skills, talents, or abilities you could bring to the blog?
- In terms of your writing style and fan perspective, what sets you apart from a typical mainstream hockey writer?
- A follow-up question to that: our blog places a high value on diversity of backgrounds, as we believe it allows the site to provide our readers higher-quality content which better represents all Kings fans. How would bringing you on make our staff more diverse? Please feel free to list anything you feel is relevant, including but not limited to: gender identity, race, sexual orientation, disability, current or past life experiences, etc. If you can't think of anything, feel free to skip this question.
- Experience is not mandatory. (Ask most of us!) Having said that, have you written for any other website or publication, or do you have any practice writing about hockey or sports? Feel free to send in a sample if you’ve got one.
- Finally, what is your favorite LA Kings moment, EXCLUDING the 2012, 2013, or 2014 playoffs?
Please submit your application, and any questions about the application, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put the role(s) you’d like to be considered for in the subject line of your email. For example:
SUBJECT: Jewels from the Crown Application: Roles 1, 3, 5
Good luck and Go Kings Go!