(On game days for the last month or so, we’ve been posting a Game Day Watch in the morning to give you a quick roundup of the Kings, their opponent, and the league. Now, we’re starting Off Day Watch to get you up to speed even when the Kings aren’t playing. Feedback is welcomed!)
Honus Wagner, often considered the best-hitting shortstop in baseball history, had a superstition. He believed that every bat contained exactly 100 hits. Once he’d reached 100 with a bat, he never used it again, believing it had outlived its usefulness. I don’t know if hockey sticks work the same way, but if they do, yesterday’s game was pretty unfortunate. Not only did the Kings get six pucks past Carey Price, they were special shots! Carter and Doughty picked corners. Trevor Lewis scored on a breakaway! Nick Shore scored! And Kopitar and Carter both beat Price with near-perfect shots in the shootout. And still, only one point. Hope we didn’t waste those shots.
HIGHLIGHTS TO WATCH
- Speaking of shots, the Kings went golfing today. I went golfing yesterday and only lost three balls! I did frequently make the noise Anze Kopitar makes in this video, though.
"It's all in the hips!" - Kopi, probably— #LAKings (@LAKings) December 5, 2016
(At the #LAKings Golf Tournament happening today.) pic.twitter.com/gvPjQwgaSD
- Sheng Peng is writing a series for the Kings’ website, and it’s been fascinating so far. Today’s article from the former JftC contributor is about Bob Miller and... Bob Miller? [LA Kings]
- Lisa Dillman, formerly of the LA Times, also has a new home: NHL.com. She wrote yesterday about Peter Budaj’s struggles in goal. The fact that she didn’t even mention Jeff Zatkoff doesn’t bode well for him, though. [NHL]
- Darrin Pfeiffer used to drum for Goldfinger. Now he writes about the Kings at AM 570’s website. Good stuff. [AM 570]
- Jhonas Enroth hit waivers today. As tumultuous as things have been for the Kings’ three goaltenders, at least they all have save percentages higher than Enroth’s .872. [Pension Plan Puppets]
- If you’re wondering how things are going in Colorado: Mile High Hockey’s recap was led off by a picture of a dumpster fire. [Mile High Hockey]
- The Habs’ Alex Galchenyuk is out “indefinitely” after running into Anze Kopitar yesterday. Kopitar just wins collisions. [TSN]
Jaromir Jagr has more goals than you can even fathom.
Jagr forever.— NHL (@NHL) December 6, 2016
That's career goal #754. pic.twitter.com/It1n2RhnJs
TONIGHT’S GAME TO WATCH
There are no late games tonight, but you can watch Buffalo-Washington for free if you get to it in time. Third period is on now!