Steven Stamkos has signed! Milan Lucic is practically an Oiler already! Kyle Okposo, Loui Eriksson, and Andrew Ladd already appear to have destinations in mind! There are like six right-handed defensemen left on the earth! It's going to be a weird July 1.
Welcome to the first day of free agency. We have 15 minutes until unrestricted free agents can sign with new teams, and based on early rumors, the Los Angeles Kings might be picking up scraps. So far, here's what we know LA might be interested in:
- a right-handed defenseman. Behind Drew Doughty, the Kings don't have a single right-shot d-man under contract. Luke Schenn shoots right; he is going to be a free agent. Matt Greene shoots right; he got waived yesterday, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. [EDIT: UFA Jamie McBain also shoots right!] It's very likely that the Kings will wade into the free agent pool for this one. Names to keep an eye on:
- Jason Demers
- Justin Schultz
- Ben Lovejoy: signed with New Jersey Devils
- Roman Polak
- Jakub Nakladal
- Eric Gryba
- EDIT: Tom Gilbert: signed with the Kings. Hey, that's us!
- EDIT: Zach Trotman: signed with the Kings. Also us.
- a winger. We thought LA might be targeting someone in the bottom six, but after apparently taking one last look at Milan Lucic, they might aim higher. Here are the ten biggest names:
- a backup goalie. The Kings are probably going to stick with Peter Budaj for cap reasons -- otherwise they may have just kept Jhonas Enroth -- but there are goalies available. Keep an eye on: