Kevlar socks are probably less comfortable than regular hockey socks. As the Associated Press wrote a few years back, players tend to get attached to their equipment and are loath to change it, especially for something that feels like “armor” instead of, you know, a regular sock. I can’t relate to that decision. I can, however, point out that this 2014 article was written because one of the best defensemen in the world sliced his Achilles tendon due to a skate blade. In the three and a half years since, several players have made the switch. It seems like Jeff Carter wasn’t one of them, and while it might not have prevented yesterday’s injury, there’s a significant chance that Carter would have walked away without the need for surgery.
At the very least, Kings, it’d make me feel better if you did it. While you’re at it, wear your visor at the right height while you’re at it, too. I care about your well-being.
HIGHLIGHTS TO WATCH
(SELF-PROMOTIONAL) KINGS WATCH
- Carter is out indefinitely, but the best-case scenario has him back in December.
- Derek Forbort got a new contract!
- Adrian Kempe’s first career hat trick was, to say the least, a big thrill.
- #1 pick Nico Hischier is on the board. [SB Nation]
- Misery in Montreal. [Eyes on the Prize]
- The Kings weren’t the only team hit by injury yesterday, as Tuukka Rask suffered a concussion. [Stanley Cup of Chowder]
GAME TO WATCH
The Dodgers are leading in Chicago with a chance to make the World Series. You don’t have to watch hockey tonight, I’ll forgive you.