Streaks! They’re demoralizing. But if LA still somehow being “tied” for a playoff spot after their first win in seven games doesn’t say it, I’ll say it again: they’re not season-ending.
The Philadelphia Flyers lost ten in a row this season. TEN. And yet, if you look at the Eastern Conference standings, who’s that holding onto the first wild card spot? The Philadelphia Flyers! Since their ten-game skid they’ve reeled off a 15-5-1 record, and a lot of that was due to their immediate response: a six-game winning streak which begin with the cursebreaker. Their first loss after those six wins was against LA, for whatever that’s worth.
Of course, for LA to do that, they’ll have to beat Nashville, Calgary, and Dallas on the road, avoid a stumble in Vancouver, and survive a tailor-made revenge game against Edmonton. I won’t get greedy.
If you missed it, read our recap of last night’s game.
HIGHLIGHTS TO WATCH
- It’s safe to say that the Kings’ signing of Jeff Zatkoff didn’t work out as anyone had hoped. Today, Zatkoff’s time as a member of the Kings organization ended, as he was traded to Columbus for future considerations.
- Trevor Lewis matched his career high with his 12th goal of the season, which was deposited into an empty net. Not surprised: Lewis. Or John Stevens, for that matter.
I talked to Lewie in the summertime and just where he thought he was at, and we thought – and he thought – that he could provide the secondary offense for our hockey team.
Stevens had a lot to say on the subject of Lewis today. [LA Kings Insider]
- Adrian Kempe is here to score and to have great-looking hair, and he can’t score during a fight.
Kempe fixing the flow mid fight#LAKings #GoKingsGo #NYR #NYRvsLAK pic.twitter.com/h8XHcmw996— Eric (@Kingsgifs) January 22, 2018
- The Rangers have more to worry about, including (but not limited to) Ryan McDonagh. [Blueshirt Banter]
- I’m giving a side-eye at Pension Plan Puppets for including Drew Doughty in this list, but here’s a breakdown of some Western Conference right-shot defensemen who could be available at the deadline. [Pension Plan Puppets]
- It makes me really happy to know that there is another Brodzinski in the pipeline.
Meet Bryce, the last Brodzinski boy. He is committed to St. Cloud State giving his Dad the ultimate dream - to have all his boys play college puck. FULL episode avail on demand: https://t.co/xrVt9CLzUD @bbrodzyy @BHSBengalHockey @FollowThePuck @BHSthemes @stcloudstate #MSHSL pic.twitter.com/OlL97Q7wkH— MN Prep Spotlight (@MNPrepSpotlight) January 23, 2018
GAME TO WATCH
Lightning-Blackhawks. If only so you can see how NBCSN pumps up a last-place Chicago team.
(Put it on mute around 6:30 PM Pacific, though... we’re podcasting!)