The squads maintained pretty much the same alignments as shared by LA Kings Insider Jon Rosen’s Tweet from Friday. The noticeable change was in the goalies, as Cole Kehler had taken Matthew Villalta’s spot for the Group B squad.
Day 2 of training camp started in the opposing rink with Group B of the team going through drills. These drills comprised of defensive zone exiting scenarios. First scenario entailed carrying out the puck off dump ins as a full unit (all five skaters with the goalie). The second simulated the center returning late to backcheck. The third scenario came back to the full unit exiting the defensive zone off dump ins via hard passes out (to possibly spring a breakaway).
After a 30-minute session, the Group B squad played a scrimmage game vs Group A. In all, the squads played two 30-minute halves with all four goalies playing a half. Jonathan Quick started for Group A, opposed by Jack Campbell in goal for Group B. Cal Petersen was in goal for the second half for Group A, while Cole Kehler completed a less common matchup between left-handed goalies, in goal for Group B. The final score was Group B over Group A, 3-1.
Nikolai Prokhorkin of Group B scored on a beautiful breakaway goal, finishing by a backhand past Jonathan Quick.
Johan Sodergran displayed some nifty stickhandling for Group A below the right circle to snap a shot past Jack Campbell
Kyle Clifford put Group B up 2-1, scoring off a rebound that resulted from some strong forechecking.
Adrian Kempe finished the scoring for the game, putting Group B up 3-1, displaying great speed to set up the goal.
- Jonathan Quick still shows strong fight in net
- Austin Wagner’s speed is a sight to behold. On one play, despite a defenseman being in front of him, he flat out dashed past him without any pronounced dekes or headfakes, leading to a breakaway opportunity.
- Kyle Clifford delivered a booming check on defenseman Jordan Spence that really drew the spectators’ attention.
- If Nikolai Prokhorkin’s goal-scoring play is any indication, the Kings might have quite a player on their hands for the upcoming season.
- A highsticking penalty was called on Kurtis MacDermid, drawn by Sean Walker. Instead of a 2-minute power play, a penalty shot was rewarded. Matt Luff was unsuccessful on the attempt.
- Following the conclusion of the scrimmage, Group A participated in a training session similar to Group B’s session from before the scrimmage.