The Los Angeles Kings might not have fully starting reaping the rewards of the rebuild, but they’re going to start the season with eyes on the prize: this is a team that wants to get back into the postseason.
“I expect us to compete really hard for a [playoff] spot like that and shame on any team that’s not approaching the season that way, us included,” Kings head coach Todd McLellan told Zach Dooley of LA Kings Insider.
“I don’t care where we ended up last year, I know who we are right now and our job is to go out and try to go out and win every game and put us in the best position possible. For our group to have that attitude, I’m happy and I’m excited about it.”
The players are buying in, too. Jonathan Quick, Jeff Carter, Trevor Moore, Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty all chimed in on how the shortened season can help the Kings stay competitive and make a postseason push for the first time since 2018. The team hasn’t made it out of the first round since 2014, when they won the franchise’s second Stanley Cup.
Read more of their thoughts linked below.
- The expectations are clear: Playoffs the goal for the Kings [LA Kings Insider]
- Kings approach new season with playoff aspirations [LA Daily News]
- Why Ontario Reign Preseason Will Be Ultra Important to LA Kings [Mayor’s Manor]
- Kings’ Kopitar Aiming for Milestones in 2020-21 Season [The Hockey Writers]
- Can Kings ‘turn the ship’ ahead of pandemic-shortened season? [LA Times]
- Kings opening night roster: Plan for prospects, taxi squad, systems growth [The Athletic]
Kyle Clifford scores in his first game with the Blues#LAKings #stlblues pic.twitter.com/XYcoo3ylTs— Eric (@Kingsgifs) January 14, 2021
- NHL had 27 positive COVID-19 tests during training camps [NHL]
- Welcome to the 2020-21 NHL Season [Sports Illustrated]
- N.H.L. Enters Another Abbreviated Season [The New York Times]
- NHL 2021: All the New Logos and Uniforms This Year [Sports Logos]
- NHL Power Rankings: Final preseason edition for the 2021 season [ESPN]
- 2021 NHL season picks: Stanley Cup, division winners and awards [ESPN]
- REPORT: Long Island Hockey Team Hates Fun, Ruins Everything [Blueshirt Banter]
- Eleven things I think I think about the 2021 Montreal Canadiens [Habs EOTP]
- Red Wings make Dylan Larkin’s captaincy official [Wingin’ It In Motown]
- I’m Not Really Excited for the Season to Start, and That Sucks [Wingin’ It In Motown]
Scores & Recaps
- Pittsburgh Penguins 3, Philadelphia Flyers 6
- Montreal Canadiens 4, Toronto Maple Leafs 5 (OT)
- Chicago Blackhawks 1, Tampa Bay Lightning 5
- Vancouver Canucks 5, Edmonton Oilers 3
- St. Louis Blues 4, Colorado Avalanche 1
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- New York Islanders at New York Rangers, 4 PST/7 EST on NHLN, TVAS, MSG, MSG+
- Washington Capitals at Buffalo Sabres, 4 PST/7 EST on ESPN+, SN360, SNE, SNO, MSG-B, NBCSWA
- Boston Bruins at New Jersey Devils, 4 PST/7 EST on MSG+, NESN
- Carolina Hurricanes at Detroit Red Wings, 4:30 PST/7:30 EST on FS-D, FS-CR
- Calgary Flames at Winnipeg Jets, 5 PST/8 EST on TSN3, SNW
- Columbus Blue Jackets at Nashville Predators, 5 PST/8 EST on FS-TN, FS-O
- Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers, 6 PST/9 EST on ESPN+, SN1, SNP
- San Jose Sharks at Arizona Coyotes, 6 PST/9 EST on FS-A, NBCSCA
- Anaheim Ducks at Vegas Golden Knights, 7 PST/10 EST on NHLN, ATTSN-RM, PRIME, FS-SD
- Minnesota Wild at Los Angeles Kings, 7 PST/10 EST on FS-W, FS-N, FS-WI