Game Day #41: Rangers @ Kings
These two teams last played hockey against each other on June 13, 2014.
Toronto Maple Leafs v Los Angeles Kings (Staples Center)
Time: 7:30 PM PST
TV: NHL Network, Fox Sports West, MSG
Enemy Reading: Pension Plan Puppets
Los Angeles Kings
Scratched: McBain, Shore; Injured: Pearson, Toffoli, Regehr; Suspended: Voynov
Toronto Maple Leafs
Injured: Holland, Lupul; Scratched: Holzer, Carrick
- Sean McIndoe at Grantland wrote a lot about the Maple Leafs today. TL;DR version:
The good news is that this organization has finally given itself the chance to find out what it’s working with. The bad news is that it may not like the answer or what will have to come next.It's way too early to know for sure, but in the two games since firing Randy Carlyle, the Leafs have a 51.1% Corsi. So... improvement!
- William Nylander has been called up from his Swedish team, Modo, to Toronto. Bad news for Modo, who is currently last in the SHL. Good news for Kings prospect Adrian Kempe, who should see a boost in playing time with Nylander go
- However, that's nothing next to the Kings, who continue to put up lofty possession numbers (now second in the NHL, including their average first month). However, if LA can't cut down on early defensive breakdowns, bad PKs, and sloppy goaltending, the possession alone isn't going to cut it.
- That's especially true with Tanner Pearson now sitting in the press box next to Tyler Toffoli. Assuming that Nick Shore is being kept in reserve until he's gotten a little more practice time (and Darryl Sutter insisted he'd get a shot), Andy Andreoff and Jordan Nolan are playing for their spots right about now. Tell us about it, Darryl!
I’d say Andreoff and Nolan would both be in the very same boat. Guys who have played a handful of shifts once in a while and need to play a hell of a lot better than they have.
- Martin Jones also gets a shot in the lineup tonight. He's allowed ten goals in his last two appearances, so this is a big opportunity to get him back on the right side of things.
- PREDICTION: Nolan, Andreoff, and Clifford combine for five points.