Los Angeles Kings announce 2019-20 preseason schedule
Road trips? Road trips.
The Los Angeles Kings have announced their preseason schedule for the 2018-19 season and, good news: there are significantly less split squad games than last year!
The schedule looks a little something like this:
- Tuesday, September 17 - at Arizona (split squad) - 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 17 - vs. Arizona (split squad) at STAPLES Center - 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, September 19 - vs. Vegas at STAPLES Center - 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, September 21 - vs. Vancouver in Salt Lake City - 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, September 23 vs. Anaheim at STAPLES Center - 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 25 - at Anaheim - 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, September 27 - at Vegas - 7:00 p.m./
Last season saw the Kings participate in two split squad nights (four games total). The 2017-18 season also saw several split squad games because of the team’s trip to China, with the bulk of the regular roster heading overseas.
The amount of time spent in these split squad games is something that some onlookers point to as a reason for the team lacking chemistry. With just one evening of split squad games — which will probably mostly serve as a chance to get a look at the just-drafted players and those who will be early roster cuts in order to go back to their juniors teams — the Kings will be able to focus on building chemistry and cohesion early under a new coach.
The faces the Kings will square off against aren’t any different from previous years. With preseason games being all about proximity, the Kings will see Vegas and Anaheim twice each, Vancouver once, and Arizona once (albeit in two different places).
As previously announced, the Kings will travel to Utah for one game, serving as the “home” squad against the Vancouver Canucks.
The regular season schedule will be released on June 25.