Monarchs Defeat Pirates In OT Sunday, Then Follow Up With A 7-1 Rout
Kings and Coyotes prospects will finish their preseason with back-to-back games
Monarchs 4, Pirates 3 (OT)
The last time the Kings faced the Coyotes, they won a back-and-forth game in OT. Maybe it's only fitting that the first match between their AHL clubs ended the same way.
The Portland Pirates entered the third with a 2-1 lead, but weren't able to hang onto it. A power play goal by Nikolay Prokhorkin--not a late scratch this time--equalized it, and Nic Deslauriers picked off a pass by top D prospect Brandon Gormley to give the Monarchs a 3-2 lead with less than a minute left. Just when the game seemed over, Chris Brown answered right back to send it into OT.
Former Yale captain Brian O’Neill had the game winner. While he benefited from a lucky bounce off the glass, he also started the attack in the first place by pouncing on a turnover. Not bad for his first goal as a pro.
Here are some video highlights of the game, although since they're from a Portland news station, they're all Pirates goals.
The game also featured two goalies in net for Manchester. Veteran Peter Mannino, who stopped 14 of 16 shots in the first two periods of the game, is on a tryout with the Monarchs. Manchester’s coaching staff will consider making him the backup in case J.F. Berube isn’t ready for that role. Berube took over for the third period and OT.
Monarchs vs. Pirates, 3 p.m. ET/Noon PT
Coach Mark Morris was unhappy with the team’s energy level at the start of Sunday's game, and of course no coach is going to be thrilled with giving up a lead with less than 30 seconds on the clock. He'll want them to be better all around in their rematch against Portland today. This time, Martin Jones will be in net.
Emerging star NHL defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson was assigned to the Pirates for the lockout, but was scratched for yesterday’s game. He won’t play today either. The Coyotes don’t want to risk injury just for preseason matches.
Final scratches: Summers, Kessy, Ekman-Larsson, Brett Hextall (Ron's son), and Bolduc for Portland. For Manchester, Jordan Nolan, Andrei Loktionov, and Thomas Hickey are out.
Note: There is no live stream or radio coverage for today's game, but we'll be following updates online and posting a summary here. Go Monarchs!
First period: Monarchs 1, Pirates 0
- The Monarchs fail to convert on almost four minutes of PP time, including a short 5 on 3. Visentin is forced to come up with some big saves.
Linden Vey scores at 5:07 to give the Monarchs a 1st period lead.
Monarchs kill a late 5 on 3. Shots favor Manchester, 10-6./
Second Period: Monarchs 5, Pirates 0
- Tyler Toffoli notches his first goal, assisted by Voynov and Vey. Vey now has two points.
- David Kolomatis and Jordan Weal score within 15 seconds of each other. There are 9 minutes left in the second, and the goalie's head must be spinning.
- With a 5v3 power play, Andy Andreoff makes it 5-0. The Monarchs' power play is on fire.
- Monarchs are outshooting the Pirates 27-12. They will begin the third still on a power play (their eighth).
- Third Period: Monarchs 7, Pirates 1 (FINAL)
Slava Voynov converts on Manchester's tenth power play of the game.
- Brandon Kozun scores yet another PP goal on a wraparound with 8 minutes left. Mercy.
- Jones' shutout streak is broken with 6 minutes left by Darian Dziurzynski./
Game over. Monarchs out-shot their foes by a whopping 40 to 18. They finish the preseason a perfect 3-0.
Well, that finished the preseason with a bang! We'll have to see who makes the final roster cuts.
Next up, games with radio and live stream coverage. Manchester's regular season begins Friday, October 12th, against the Providence Bruins (4:05 PT). We'll have a live blog for you.