Off-Day Watch: Late Night Edition
Jonny B is coming up to save the season! Maybe.
So last time I posted an off-day watch column on the day of a game, and this time I think I’ll post late on the night before a game. Is there a method to the madness? Do I have any clue what I’m doing? Fair questions, friends, fair questions.
We’re still screwed. Sorry, but short of a miracle the 2016-2017 Los Angeles Kings will not be one of sixteen teams vying for the Stanley Cup.
Bracket's not quite set, of course. West is close to settled except for order but the East is not. pic.twitter.com/uuCvcrdRqQ— Micah Blake McCurdy (@IneffectiveMath) March 22, 2017
Perhaps related to the point above, it appears that Kings’ prospect Jonny Brodzinski call up may be in the works.
Nothing finalized / hasn't been confirmed, but thinking aloud here, I'm under the impression that a Brodzinski call-up could be coming soon.— Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider) March 22, 2017
If you follow Jon’s thread he walks things back a bit but it would make sense for the team to take a look at the young right-winger. He has been increasingly effective in Ontario this season and would fit in well on Anze Kopitar’s wing - I look forward to Darryl Sutter crushing my hopes and icing him with Andreoff and Nolan tomorrow night. For further Jonny B. reading check out @goorgoahead here, @Sheng_Peng here, and, of course, @lakingsinsider here.
News Around the League
- 30 Thoughts and not a single one devoted to the collapse of the Kings. Sure, fine…I’m not bitter, I swear. Lots of prospect talk in this one, so get to it.
- I know what will make you feel better about the slow decline of our once-for-certain dynasty! An article about teams on the rise with young, speedy players! Zach Werenski and Auston Matthews are leading turnarounds in Columbus and Toronto.
- Sean McIndoe does hockey history well, and he did it once again. Here are five teams that found playoff success after long layoffs.
- Not that you thought the Kings would be in the mix anyway, but it appears the free-agent market might be even more expensive than usual this summer. Vegas is in the mix and flush with cash!/
- Like I said, Connor McDavid is going to haunt us for a long, long time, everyone./
- Nazeem Kadri is having a sneaky good season, and earned his goal here. /
- I’ll be curious to see if Anttii Raanta gets post-season starts, but he’s been amazing for the Rangers thus far and kept it going here./
Go Kings Go.