Preseason Preview #5: Los Angeles Kings @ Vegas Golden Knights
HOW TO WATCH
Game Time: 7:00 PM Pacific
TV: NHL Network, Prime Ticket
Radio: iHeart Radio
The Opposition: Knights on Ice
WHO AND WHAT TO WATCH FOR
- Defense was highly optional in Anaheim on Wednesday for both teams. Jack Campbell didn’t come away looking too good — some of the goals could easily be attributed to the sloppy team play in front of him, but he definitely has some room for improvement. He’ll probably get the game tonight, too, as both Jonathan Quick and Cal Petersen were participants in this morning’s skate, the participants of which aren’t expected to play tonight. With the Kings icing another very young squad against an NHL-ready Vegas lineup, Campbell is going to have to adjust his game to avoid a repeat of Wednesday night.
- After a strong performance from Austin Wagner, expect all eyes to be on him tonight in Vegas. Speed’s the name of the game, so look for the Kings to try to take advantage of any opportunity they can get to send him off to the races to square off against Marc-Andre Fleury.
- The Kings returned Sheldon Rempal (9:19 TOI, -3, one shot), Boko Imama (6:55 TOI, -3, 16 penalty minutes including a game misconduct), and Drake Rymsha (6:46 TOI, -3, seven penalty minutes) to the Ontario Reign.
- Matt Luff stays up with the team; he put up a much more impressive performance playing alongside Mike Amadio and Tanner Pearson. Luff logged just under 16 minutes of ice time, including special teams work, and had three shots on net. John Stevens particularly praised Luff’s performance as showing that he was a player who wanted to contribute and play the right way. Look to see him try to build off of that performance tonight.
- Any chance of the bad blood between the teams carrying over into the preseason? Vegas agitator Will Carrier says no. I only sort of believe it.
- Shea Theodore, one of the last RFA holdouts in the league, has signed a shiny new contract and will be in the lineup tonight. Based on Vegas’ morning skate, he’ll be taking on second pairing duties. Some people think Theodore’s long contract is a bit of a gamble, but he’s a young player who’s still learning and growing in his position. He’s going to be an annoyance for the Kings for years to come./
Los Angeles Kings
Highly optional morning skate. Quick, Petersen, Kopitar, Brown, Phaneuf, Doughty, Carter, Forbort, Kovalchuk. No indications towards the lineup. Team flies to Vegas this afternoon for tonight's game at T-Mobile Arena.— Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider) September 28, 2018
Still in the evaluative period, so tonight’s lineup will still feature some younger guys. Those who skated today aren’t expected to play tonight. Tomorrow’s lineup vs ANA will be close to the opening night lineup, JS confirmed.— Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider) September 28, 2018
Vegas Golden Knights
Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith
Pacioretty - Stastny - Haula
Nosek - Carpenter - Tuch
Carrier - Bellemare - Reaves
McNabb - Miller
Theodore - Engelland
Merrill - Holden
Quick, Watch This
"Chemistry's the key word. They have to understand their roles and what the coaching staff wants out of their lines." - Assistant Coach Don Nachbaur Presented by Spectrum: pic.twitter.com/X5lALPmrX7— LA Kings (@LAKings) September 26, 2018