Preview: Game Day #59, Red Wings @ Kings
Time to beat Detroit for once
Detroit Red Wings @ Los Angeles Kings (Staples Center)
Time: 7:30 PM PST
TV: Fox Sports West
Enemy Reading: Winging it in Motown
Los Angeles Kings
Scratched: Forbort, Andreoff; Injured: Pearson, Martinez; Suspended: Voynov
Detroit Red Wings
Scratched: Andersson; Injured: Zetterberg, Quincey, Franzen
- I can't be the only one who realizes how appropriate it is that LA will try to get their eighth win against the team which throws octopus on the ice, right?
- The Kings' last win against Detroit: February 27, 2013. It was a Wednesday Night Rivalry (!) which featured what I'd call a top-ten career goal for Anze Kopitar:
- Since then, Detroit has switched conferences, LA has one another Cup, the off-the-netting rules have been changed, and... neither lineup has really changed all that much, actually. Here's to stability.
- LA catches a break as Henrik Zetterberg remains out of the lineup. He was the victim of a punch to the head from Jamie Benn on Saturday.
- #1 Star of the Week Jonathan Quick starts his 15th game in a row, which is as much a reflection on the schedule (no back-to-backs so far in 2015) as on his recent excellent form. The Kings play on Thursday and Friday, though, so Quick may actually get a night off soon.
- I've resigned myself to the reality that Detroit is never going to miss the playoffs again.
- Happy Legends Night, Tony Granato! He's an assistant coach with Detroit now. Convenient.
- PREDICTION: I get more worked up over this game than I usually do.