Regal Rundown 4/14: Rematch with Oil
The Los Angeles Kings are set to face the Edmonton Oilers for the second consecutive year in the first round. That plus other stories from around the NHL.
Good afternoon, Kings fans and Happy Friday! Not long after the Kings put the finishing touches on their 5-3 victory in Anaheim last night, the Vegas Golden Knights topped the Seattle Kraken.
Meaning... Los Angeles will face the Edmonton Oilers in a first-round rematch of last year's Stanley Cup Playoffs. If you recall – and I'm sorry in advance – but the Kings had a 3-2 lead in the series before falling in seven games.
The Oilers went on to play the Colorado Avalanche in the Western Conference finals. Meanwhile, the Kings were wondering what was needed to take the next step.
LA and Edmonton split their regular season series 2-2, with the Kings outscoring the Oilers 10-9. Their first-round matchup should be another tight-checking, little-room-for-error, make-the-most-of your-opponents' mistakes-type of series.
The Kings will have to, of course, try to limit the damage of that No. 97 guy on Edmonton.
- ICYMI: Ontario Reign’s Tynan Named To AHL Second All-Star Team [HERE]
- NHL Power Rankings: Kings land at No. 12 on The Athletic’s list. Too low? Too high? [Athletic]
- Adrian Kempe on becoming a 40-goal scorer, “Switch went off in my head.” [Bally Sports West]
- 1st-round schedule for Games 1, 2 of 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs [NHL.com]
- LA Kings Announce 2022-23 Team Award Winners [NHL.com]
- With new patient approach, Oilers well equipped for playoff rematch vs. Kings [Sportsnet]
Elsewhere in the World
- Thursday marked Jonathan Toews’ final game in a Blackhawks sweater [Athletic]
- With a win over Nashville on Friday, the Colorado Avalanche can lock up the No. 1 seed in the Central Division [ESPN]
- Speaking of the Avs, captain Gabe Landeskog was ruled out for the 2023 playoffs, answering our question from yesterday [Daily Faceoff]
- LeBrun: Is this the year the Maple Leafs’ playoff breakthrough finally happens? [Athletic]
- Peng: Ryan Merkley on What Went Wrong With Sharks, What’s Going Right in Colorado [San Jose Hockey Now]
- Any Metallica fans out there? I stayed up to listen to their new album at midnight, well, because I live in the central time zone and Kings games don’t normally end after then. Anyway, I must say, it’s been a pleasant surprise!
On the Schedule
Just two games on the NHL schedule to close out the regular season. As noted, the Avs can clinch the Central Division’s No. 1 seed with a win.
- Buffalo Sabres at Blue Jackets, 7:30 EST/4:30 PST on BSOH, MSG-B
- Colorado Avalanche at Nashville Predators, 8 EST/5 PST on BSSO, ALT