Sunday Night: The Good, The Bad, The Real Standings
Yesterday's and Today's Results
The Good: Preds lost, Ducks lost, Wild half-lost.
The Bad: Kings lost, Blues won, Coyotes won, Sharks won, Hawks won, Flames won.
The Doesn't Matter: Avs lost, Canucks won.
That's a bad weekend's worth of results, but at least the Kings are still in the top 8. Between now and Wednesday night, STL, PHX and SJS all have back-to-backs, and the other six of our ten immediate rivals play once. The remaining rival, ANA, is our Wednesday night game. So everyone has a chance to blow at least two and maybe four points.
- CHI @ STL -- Go Blues.
- PHX @ PHI -- Go Flyers.
- NAS @ CBJ -- Go Jackets.
- SJS @ DET -- Go Wings.
- COL @ STL -- Go Avs.
- EDM @ MIN -- Go Oilers.
- NJD @ DAL -- Go Devils.
- BOS @ CGY -- Go Bruins.
- SJS @ PIT -- Go Pens.
- PHX @ TBL -- Go Lightning.
- LAK @ ANA -- GO KINGS!
Now, the updated standings:
Click on the column headers to sort.
KEY: Q is my standings, default sorted by points-blown (explanation of points-blown here). ESPN is the official standings, via ESPN. PRJ is projected point total for 82 games. PB is points-blown. +/- is the distance in points-blown above or below the 8th seed. TO 95 is the record needed to get to the presumed (by me) playoff-threshold. GR is games-remaining. W! is wins plus OT wins (the first tie-breaker). R, OT and SO are regulation, over-time and shoot-out, and W and L after each indicates wins and losses for each of those three categories (e.g. R:W is regulationwins, OT:W is over-time wins, etc.).
- Given the bad results of the weekend's games, I'm surprised the Kings are still 7th (points-blown) and 8th (official) in the West.
- The Kings are in a three-way tie for 6th by both measures, but lose the wins tie-breaker.
- The Kings are 3 points-blown and 5 official points from 3rd.
- They are 2 points-blown and 5 official points from 13th.
- All eleven teams in the hunt for the 3rd to 8th spots are within 5 points-blown and 10 official points of each other. The points-blown numbers show that the race is even closer than the official standings indicate.
- That's because PHX and SJS -- the teams at the top -- have played the most games, while STL and CBJ -- the teams at the bottom -- have games in hand.
- The Flames have played the most games of all, which is why they're in a much more precarious place than their recent streak implies.