The Good, The Bad, The Logjam, The Real Standings
Last night's results
The Good: DAL half-lost, CGY lost.
The Bad: ANA won, CHI won, SJS won.
SJS @ LAK -- Go Kings.
ANA @ NAS -- In truth, I'm fine with either one winning, as long as it's in regulation. I will be a little extra happy if the Ducks lose.
CBJ @ PHX -- Go Jackets.
Now, the updated standings:
Click on the headers to sort.
KEY: Q is my standings, default sorted by points-blown (explanation of points-blown here). NHL is the official standings, via NHL.COM (ESPN has the tie-breakers wrong). PRJ is projected point total for 82 games. LSF is last season's final point total. PB is points-blown. +/- is the distance in points-blown above or below the 8th seed. TO 96 is the record needed to get to the presumed (by me) playoff-threshold. GR is games-remaining. W! is wins plus OT wins (the first tie-breaker). SS and SSGR are season series against the Kings (Kings’ points-earned vs. that team’s points-earned) and games remaining (team name in the SSGR column means that team has won the season series). 2 points for a Kings win, 1 for an OT or SO win, -1 for an OT or SO loss, -2 for a loss. GD is goal--differential.
- Six teams battling for five spots, all separated by a total of 2 points-blown.
- The Kings have a game in hand on the Sharks. A win tonight would put the Kings in the lead by a point in the season series, with one game remaining.
- In terms of tie-breaker wins, the Ducks are four ahead of the Kings, the Coyotes are three ahead, and the Hawks are two ahead. Closing this gap would be useful.
- A SIX-WAY TIE FOR 4TH IS NOT THAT CRAZY A PROSPECT. In any case, I fully expect at least two smaller sets of ties.
- Incidentally, were a six-way tie actually to occur, ANA, PHX and CHI would (as it stands now -- obviously these numbers will change) take 4, 5 and 6, with LAK, DAL and NAS proceeding to the head-to-head-to-head tiebreaker. The Kings won season series against both teams by a margin of 7 points, total. So LAK would be 7th seed and I'm too lazy to see which one of DAL and NAS would prevail for the 8th spot.