Tuesday Lunch: The Good, The Bad, The Real Standings
The Good: PHX lost, CBJ lost, MIN lost, CGY half-lost.
The Bad: ANA won (3pt game, boo!), CHI won.
Last Night's Results
The Good: LAK won, CGY half-lost.
The Bad: CGY half-won.
EDM @ NAS -- Go Oil.
STL @ PHX -- Go Blues.
FLA @ CHI -- Go Fla.
ANA @ DAL -- Ooh. If only both teams could lose. Well, solely because I want the most possible distance between us and the Ducks by the time we get to that home-and-home to end the season: Go Stars.
CGY @ SJS -- Go Sharks, in regulation.
Now, the updated standings:
Click on the headers to sort.
KEY: Q is my standings, default sorted by points-blown (explanation of points-blown here). NHL is the official standings, via NHL.COM (ESPN has the tie-breakers wrong). PRJ is projected point total for 82 games. LSF is last season's final point total. PB is points-blown. +/- is the distance in points-blown above or below the 8th seed. TO 96 is the record needed to get to the presumed (by me) playoff-threshold. GR is games-remaining. W! is wins plus OT wins (the first tie-breaker). SS and SSGR are season series against the Kings (Kings’ points-earned vs. that team’s points-earned) and games remaining (team name in the SSGR column means that team has won the season series). 2 points for a Kings win, 1 for an OT or SO win, -1 for an OT or SO loss, -2 for a loss. GD is goal--differential.
- Calgary is on the cusp of elimination. Not mathematical elimination, since they can still win out and end up with 99 points. But even the 5-1-1 needed to get to 96 points is unlikely.
- That leaves, really, six teams fighting for five spots.
- Those six -- LAK, CHI, PHX, ANA, DAL, NAS -- are separated by two points-blown and four official points (Phoenix's extra game played is what's throwing the official numbers off).
- Five of those teams (everyone but Nashville) are separated by a single point-blown.
- The Kings have won their season series against DAL, NAS and CGY, lost to CHI, with ANA and PHX still up for grabs. Yay.
- This might not matter, since the wins tie-breaker (W!) comes first, and the Kings are three behind ANA, two behind PHX and one behind CHI in W!.
- In W!, the Kings are even with DAL, one ahead of NAS and three ahead of CGY.
- These last two bullets make winning in regulation and/or OT kind of important.