Off Day Watch, 12/7: Karri Ramo, Spencer Watson, and Wait, Seriously, Karri Ramo?
The latest name rumored as a Kings net fix is not exactly enticing.
I don’t think we’re ever going to stop hearing about goaltending options for the Los Angeles Kings, are we? At least, not until Jonathan Quick comes back. And yet, despite Peter Budaj’s recent struggles, his save percentage at 5v5 this year is .926. Jonathan Quick’s 5v5 save percentage in his Kings career is .925, and he’s put up a .928 each of the last three years. The real reason we’re asking the question is due to his shorthanded save percentage, which is .819 and third-worst in the NHL. Quick was at .881 last season, which sounds bad but is about average. Enroth was at an .818.
Moral: don’t make Budaj kill penalties.
- Oh, right, goaltending options. Karri Ramo is the latest one. I don’t think he’s an upgrade over Budaj OR Zatkoff, but sure, throw his name around. [ESPN]
- Might as well get to know Budaj, right? Here’s Deborah Lew’s feature for the Kings’ website. [LA Kings]
- Spencer Watson returns to the ice tonight after completing his recovery from wrist surgery. It’s his first game for the OHL’s Mississauga Steelheads after scoring 96 goals in 170 games for the Kingston Frontenacs. He came in at #16 on our Top 25 Under 25 countdown this year./
GAME DAY! Your Steelheads head to Kitchener tonight to take on the @OHLRangers for a 7PM start.— OHL Steelheads (@OHLSteelheads) December 7, 2016
📱Follow along #gosteelgo pic.twitter.com/BbF602xhks
- We now know the recovery timeline for Alex Galchenyuk, who left Sunday’s game after a collision with Anze Kopitar: 6-8 weeks. They lost another center for 6-8 weeks, too. Ouch. [TSN]
- The Red Wings’ Anthony Mantha is what they call a “post-hype” prospect; buzzed about years ago, and we’d all forgotten about him. He finally got a full-time gig in Detroit and is outplaying pretty much everyone on his team. [Winging it in Motown]
- Columbus is really happy about their hockey team. [The Cannon]/
- Fox Sports West has been rolling their Royal Reflections throughout the 50th Anniversary season. The most recent one features copious amounts of Jim Fox./
.@JimFox19 & his excellent 1990s hair celebrate with @LAKings following '93 Campbell Conference championship #RoyalReflections #NHL #GKG pic.twitter.com/nE0y9smaaQ— FOX Sports West (@FoxSportsWest) December 1, 2016
GAME TO WATCH
Two of last year’s Norris Trophy finalists are facing off, and since the Kings aren’t playing, you know it’s Brent Burns vs. Erik Karlsson when San Jose faces Ottawa at 7:30 Pacific. Should be fun.