Off Day Watch, 10/13: Big Fan(tenberg)
The new defensemen aren’t scoring, and that’s okay.
How do you like Oscar Fantenberg? More than you think you’d like a defenseman with zero points in three games, right? Christian Folin and Kurtis MacDermid don’t have any points either, but you expect them to hit instead of scoring, because that’s what they seem to be here for. Fantenberg, on the other hand, hits every so often (once per game so far!) but was supposed to bring offense. Why aren’t we disappointed, especially since he’s spent a lot of time on a power play that hasn’t scored yet? For one, we’ve come to expect low point totals beyond the top four defensemen; Drew Doughty and Alec Martinez and Jake Muzzin average about ten goals a year apiece, but the rotating “bottom-pair” guys don’t chip in so much as they attempt to not do damage. Fantenberg has passed that test. More importantly, though, Fantenberg has looked confident in his own zone, and the Kings are outscoring opponents with Fantenberg out there. That’s all that really matters, right?
Anyway, we’ll see if he stays in the lineup, because big news maybe coming...
- Alec Martinez Update: he skated at practice with Drew Doughty on the power play today! That sounds like a return is imminent. For the record, if you like that pair: the two skated together for 58 minutes at 5-on-5 last season and 39 minutes at 5-on-5 in 2015-16, so it isn’t a particularly common pairing. [Source: me, at practice]
- Did you know Dustin Brown cannot be traded to Canada? That’s according to Elliotte Friedman, and it’s especially interesting because we knew he had a “modified” no-trade clause. That’s a pretty hilarious modifier. [Sportsnet]
- Alex Iafallo is excited to face the Buffalo Sabres. He’s from there, kinda!/
Iafallo: "Thinking about it now a day before it will be awesome. Come Saturday, I know I'll just be feeling it's a normal hockey game."(2/2)— Mike Harrington (@ByMHarrington) October 13, 2017
- Leon Draisaitl has a black eye and will be out for at least his next game. [Copper ‘n Blue]
- The Canucks, like the Kings, are also changing up their player usage under a new head coach. [Nucks Misconduct]
- The Devils are still undefeated. How? Why? What? [All About the Jersey]/
GAME TO WATCH
The Vegas Golden Knights are trying to stay undefeated against the Detroit Red Wings. Join them, won’t you?