San Jose Sharks @ Los Angeles Kings Game 73 Recap: Kings refuse to #LoseForHughes, win 4-2
Overheard: “If the Sharks can’t beat the Kings, they’re going to have issues come April...”
It’s Ron Burgundy Night at the Staples Center and if he would have been in the booth the previous 72 games, the season wouldn’t have seemed so bad:
They got Ron Burgundy doing commentary at the LA Kings game 😂— SB Nation (@SBNation) March 22, 2019
When you wonder how the Kings got into this mess known as the 2018-19 season, remember that this Ron Burgundy quote applied to Los Angeles just eight short years ago (this clip is also the best call of the year.):
"Take that San Jose! Zero Stanley cups!"#SJSvsLAK #SJSharks #GoKingsGo #LAKings pic.twitter.com/i9NozsbfTn— Eric (@Kingsgifs) March 22, 2019
A game after being eliminated from playoff contention, the Los Angeles Kings assumed the role of spoiler, overcoming a 2-1 deficit and netting three goals in the third period to take down the Stanley Cup hopeful San Jose Sharks 4-2. Anze Kopitar had a goal and an assist, Matt Roy scored his first career goal and Jeff Carter snapped a 21-game goalless streak. With the exception of Brent Burns (adding an assist for the third straight game / 76 points on the year), the Sharks looked anything but ready for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, dropping five points behind the Pacific Division-leading Calgary Flames with eight games to play.
Coach’s Corner: What Willie Desjardins Did Wrong Tonight
Where to start? The list was so long even before the puck dropped...
- The interim coach went with the ever-lethal 11 forwards / 7 defensemen lineup. No wonder the Kings are 122 goals behind the Tampa Bay Lightning (and 0.66 GF less than the league average - 2.36/gm vs. 3.03/gm). Even the Ottawa Senators have scored 228 goals this season.
- The 11/7 lineup meant that Willie D. actively chose to scratch Jonny Brodzinski and Ilya Kovalchuk to play Jeff Carter (21 games without a goal), Tyler Toffoli (16 goals without a goal), and Kurtis MacDermid (averaging 6:39 TOI since his call-up). Summer buyout candidate Dion Phaneuf also sat this one out.
- Willie boldly lies to tells us that he uses the 11/17 lineup to better evaluate players. Instant analysis: If I were Jonny Brodzinski—scratched for the fourth consecutive game—I would evaluate the Kings as an organization who doesn’t want me. As a pending UFA this summer, I would definitely be looking to move on. Nothing would chap me more than being scratched this often for an “11/7 Evaluation Lineup.”
- You see Willie, 11 forwards become 10 forwards with one LBI:/
Leipsic not to return; lower body injury.— LAKingsPR (@LAKingsPR) March 22, 2019
- What goes through the head of the interim coach? Look at the veterans’ TOI: Drew Doughty plays 25:02, Anze Kopitar 24:04, Alec Martinez plays 21:38, Carter 20:26, and Dustin Brown 19:55. Now look at the kids: Carl Grundstrom 12:47, Austin Wagner 9:49, and MacDermid 7:24. I thought these were evaluation games where the kids were being showcased? Why would you scratch Jonny Brodzinski to play MacDermid 7:24?
- Willie, why are you under the delusional belief that these games matter anymore? Playing the veterans, especially forwards, 20 minutes a night isn’t doing anyone any favors. This is where #LoseForHughes kicks in! I mean, can’t you get anything right?/
The Game 73 Scoring
Kings 1. Sharks 0.
.@DustinBrown23's goal: SICK— FOX Sports West (@FoxSportsWest) March 22, 2019
The belly flop celly: 🤙🤙🤙🤙 pic.twitter.com/XULqUuhAt6
Kings 1. Sharks 1.
Goodrow? Vlasic? Doesn't matter who scored, just that it happened. #SJSharks pic.twitter.com/truUGbUCn2— x - San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) March 22, 2019
Kings 1. Sharks 1. Ron Burgundy 1. Bean Burrito 0.
You better believe Ron devoured a bean burrito on air because why wouldn't he 🌯@BaileyLAKings | @LAKings | @_Attendee pic.twitter.com/UAI80vp7rJ— FOX Sports West (@FoxSportsWest) March 22, 2019
Sharks 2. Kings 1.
1-2 Hertl(32)-ASST: Burns(63): https://t.co/X88zbFJcaX#SJSvsLAK #SJSharks #GoKingsGo #LAKings pic.twitter.com/ETNDNetYAI— Eric (@Kingsgifs) March 22, 2019
Sharks 2. Kings 2.
Matt Roy with the first goal of his NHL career!
Kings 3. Sharks 2.
Kings 4. Sharks 2.
Jeff Carter scores the empty-netter shorthanded; his first goal since January 15th.
Next: The Kings host the dreaded Anaheim Ducks at Staples Center on Saturday.
"At first, I was just wondering if it hit Brownie, but by the way he reacted, I guess it didn't touch him." - Matt Roy on scoring his first NHL goal pic.twitter.com/wgMTC2gO6P— LA Kings (@LAKings) March 22, 2019
Ron Burgundy breaking down Bark Madness 🐶🐾— LA Kings (@LAKings) March 22, 2019
Did You Know: Baxter was actually the first ever Bark Madness Champion in 1979 ...and he also ate an entire ham last weekend. We're not even mad. That's amazing.
🐶 https://t.co/f2ZKfjDGKx#GoKingsGo | @_Attendee pic.twitter.com/DnIn8ziE0Q
“PUT THAT BABY TO BED WITHOUT A DIAPER”— FOX Sports West (@FoxSportsWest) March 22, 2019
We'll save that goal call for later 😆@LAKings | @_Attendee pic.twitter.com/PPjZf1PvQ2
"The goalies left, he quit..."#SJSvsLAK #SJSharks #GoKingsGo #LAKings pic.twitter.com/3Aq2c58PcQ— Eric (@Kingsgifs) March 22, 2019
60% of the time it works all of the time@LAKings | @_Attendee pic.twitter.com/mwtluy8Dyw— FOX Sports West (@FoxSportsWest) March 22, 2019
.@JimFox19 giving Ron Burgundy hair advice is everything 💇♂️@LAKings | @_Attendee pic.twitter.com/ElPZNjmdgJ— FOX Sports West (@FoxSportsWest) March 22, 2019
"I'm surprised Quickie didn't go Ron Hextall on him and chop him in the legs"#SJSvsLAK #SJSharks #GoKingsGo #LAKings pic.twitter.com/b8ZTbJ3tlM— Eric (@Kingsgifs) March 22, 2019
Hey @SanJoseSharks,— LA Kings (@LAKings) March 22, 2019
Some good off-ice info about Martin Jones from our pal Ron Burgundy 😂#GoKingsGo | @_Attendee pic.twitter.com/cCpXXlfwSd
Hi praise for @JeffCarter_77 from Ron Burgundy 😂🤣#GoKingsGo | @_Attendee pic.twitter.com/o5qldNP1ub— LA Kings (@LAKings) March 22, 2019
Adrian Shempe#SJSvsLAK #SJSharks #GoKingsGo #LAKings pic.twitter.com/iDMQOmQbqR— Eric (@Kingsgifs) March 22, 2019
Games Until the Kings are Eligible for a New Head Coach: 9